Do you know much I love making lists like this one? Well, probably… Owing to the fact that I ramble about so much I like, here. (I classified these as summer essentials, as compared to my last list which was about winter lovelies. Also, however, if you combine both of these lists; they contain all of my favourite things to wear, yep!)
Okay now, in some order?
1. Body harnesses can shopped for from Sreesha’s shop, Lune or made by yourself (you will need a pair of pliers, some metal chains and circular links, and/or cute charms). The thing about a delicate body harness is that it can be worn under your clothes, and looks very sexy with everything beachie; if it makes you feel good then just wear it, it’s not even about how it looks. I like that it’s so very alluring; and think it might be good to get a light-bodied one made in actual gold so it doesn’t lose quality over time (or in terms of its finish). INVESTMENT!
2. Ooh, I need to be earning more money to invest in a pair of cool, summer kicks (but check out Bata because I think they have some decent and/or plain ones that you can refurbish, yourself). Besides the canvas slip-ons, I have been eyeing those Stan Smith sneakers from Adidas from the time I saw them first on Kiran Rao in a pair for ELLE (India) magazine, last year.
3. Funnily/luckily enough, I found a lovely brown leather + wooden sole pair at Promod way back in 2012 for Rs. 1000 and they still look smoking (it’s a different story that I haven’t worn them ever) but I also recently bought a pair earlier this year from Forever 21 whose soles are super lightweight and are a dream to walk in, and they actually suit me. Or what I like wearing! Chunky sandals are the only high heels that I make an exception for, because some inches are a bother for my cankles (one of my guy friends at an ex-workplace pointed out that I have *GASP* cankles). Thanks for the tip-off, bruv! And I’ve broken my foot twice now in the 28 years of my existence so yeah.
4. Crochet fabrics (there are some cool things to be bought from Mango + Vero Moda, btw) have been on my mind since 2012, and I haven’t begun to love them any lesser just as yet.
5. Ah, crossbody handbags! :-)
6. Light (slightly overall acid wash) denim blouses are IN! I think Marks & Spencer had one, last season with a cute pocket over the breast area. (I’m not talking about the button-down shirts, btw!)
7. These are expensive for sure, but you’ll find cheaper versions at your local haunts – for me, La Judi is the answer… Of course, there are also flatform sandals which look really, really good, too.
8. Gypsy jewellery, self-explanatory… Think of cultural motifs, coloured tassels, pompom detailing (we’ll get back to that), body armour (yes, those Rajasthani pieces count), hammered metals, blah-blah, etc.
9. I don’t know about you but I do love grandma-inspired looks! Grandmothers (well, some) really are with it; and okay, so, pleated skirts… Of course, I do prefer the pleather variety over chiffon (ever since I bought a smouldering one from Marks & Spencer) but yeah… Pleated skirts in a midi-length are the way to go (especially with sneakers), in my opinion.
10. Ah, yes… I’ve always liked pompom detailing, especially on the edges of a cotton weave or bohemian kimono – it’s such an easy way to add a cultural accent or pop of tone to your get-up; and speaking of which, I’ve been making pompom necklaces for The Jupiter Skye Shop so if you’re interested, you know where to go after reading this post, heh.
P.S. Also, why is this post titled Summer Nights huh, you ask? What’s the connection? I was looking for a good way to pun but there was none, however, while I do enjoy going out in the late afternoon – I think I like those days when you’re out at that time (in a nice place) and then the day gradually progresses to night, and you’re wearing something good, and well the temperature hasn’t changed much so yeah it’s still summer but it’s night and you feel pretty… Gosh. That was way too long-winded a sentence even for me! Forgive me?
Artwork by Roanna Fernandes